Thursday, August 21, 2008

Featuring......Coffee Talk!

Faithful readers know that one of my favorite places to be on Isla is Aluxes Coffee Shop. But long before I moved to Isla, there was another coffee shop that was/is near and dear to my heart.



Meet Coffee Talk in Taylors Falls, Minnesota.







Founded in 1995 by John and Mark, this place has long since become an institution in the area. Whomever you are, you are sure to be greeted like some long lost friend as soon as you open the door. The coffee shop takes up the entire renovated Victorian house where it is located. It is a warm, friendly and often times lively place to be. Upstairs there are many little sitting areas in the bay window areas, just perfect for solitary meditation and or rousing game of cards or conversation with friends. With the exception of two people, every friend I have in this area is thanks to this coffee shop.



You've all seen me sitting at my "office" at Aluxes. Well, not surprisingly, I have one at Coffee Talk too! The furthest table, over in the shade, is where I can be found. I am also facing the entrance stairs so nobody gets by me unseen!






Mark has a bit of a green thumb. There is no time of year that you can walk around the grounds and not encounter a plethora of flowers. Brick walkways and terraces abound. It is an incredible place to get something to drink and just wonder around. Gaze at the flowers. Look at the hummingbirds, butterflies and dragonflies that the flowers attract.






Needless to say, B and I are quite well known at this place. As you can see, they have also met my mother. I'm not quite sure what Mark was trying to tell me the day he gave me this cup. Well, I know but I am just not admitting it!






Speaking of Mark, here he is, busy as usual, behind the counter inside.




If you go out the back door you will encounter this great outdoor patio area. There has even been a wedding held back here. It is a tranquil oasis and a great spot for enjoying the outdoors in the summer. Again with the flowers and hasta.







But the one thing that simply amazes people is the bathroom. The whole interior was air spray gun (not the technical term) by a local artist years ago. It has stood up well to the test of time. It is, to put it mildly, an amazing place to go pee. This is the corner where the toilet is.






If you look to your right (or left for the ladies), you will see this beautiful reproduction of a piece of the Sistine Chapel. Again, airbrushed onto the wall. A great piece of trump d'loie.






If you are ever in Taylors Falls, they are located on Bench Street, the main drag through town. Tell John or Mark that Wayne sent you. It won't get you a free coffee, but it will make me feel good!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool coffee house! I wish I was there with you right now drinking a crappacino and making fun of what people are wearing.

Babs said...

OMG, I've never been to Mn. - NOW I want to go. I LOVE the house and the gardens - exquisite! Tell them I said so.......

Brenda Maas said...

What a great looking place.

Anonymous said...

Taylors Falls is one of Minnesota's most beautiful small towns!! I just love all the Victorian architecture! And church steeples!!
That picture of the big front porch with the steeple in the background- ahhhhhh- brings a little bitter sweet joy and longing to my heart!

Nancy said...

It sounds like a wonderful community...and that you're having a great time.

Ann said...

Looks like an interesting place. Glad you're having a great visit!
Ann

Loretta said...

I'm so glad you're having a good time. After what you've been through with the neighbor from hell, the No Crime On Isla gang and the serial health issues, it is well-deserved.

Me? While you're living it up in Taylors Falls, we're having a tropical storm here in Florida. And my roof is leaking!

That farm, far away from Fay, looks really good about now...

Babs said...

Ok, I wrote a comment this morning and it didn't get printed - LOVE the building....darling place!

Islaholic Trixie said...

What a beautiful coffee house. From the flowers, gardens to the airbrushed art in the banos. Thanks for taking us on your vacation. Now go and get something on a stick at the fair!!

IslaDeena said...

I just discovered your blog and have been reading your old posts and was pleasantly surprised to find the one about Coffee Talk in Taylors Falls. I grew up across the street from Mark and he and I were good friends and classmates for 18 years. I had the chance to see his coffee shop and was amazed to find out what a green thumb he has. I wasn't surprised to see what a success his business is. He has always been one of the neatest guys I've ever known.