Monday, November 05, 2007

Odds and Ends the Last Few Days

Things were kindof busy around here over the weekend. Busy for us anyway. I already told you we attended the private opening of the new restaurant in town on Friday night. We decided to leave the car home and take a taxi. Instead, we were able to get the local bus.



don't I look pleased to be leaving my car at home?

It's only 4 pesos and I would use it more often if it were dependable. But it isn't, so I don't. This was about 7:30 PM on a Friday night. I decided to take a picture of my fellow passengers. Evidently, it's not a popular means of transportation on Friday nights.



After the little party, we decided to have a quick drink at our favorite watering hole. That is "my" chair on the lower left corner. Woe be to the unknowning tourist who sits there! If Carlos knows we are coming, he always reserves that table. I would never be able to take a picture like this in high season. Every table would be full.



Yesterday while crossing on the car ferry we almost hit this guy. Well, we scared him anyway. You can see them busily and frantically hauling in their nets as we approached.



They were able to turn and get away just in time.



Finally, because I was so snarky about the beaches the other day, I am going to leave you with this:



This is the beach front on the west side of the island, facing Cancun and the mainland. If you enlarge it, you'll see how nice it really is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wayne,
The beaches are a bit disapointing, but none the less I'll plant my butt in some sand there somewhere. My husband and I are coming to the island on Friday, I was just wondering if you would like anything from our cold country of Canada.
Looking forward to some warmth, Sandra

Brenda Maas said...

Too bad your buses are not reliable. We use them all the time, it is so much easier than driving downtown.