Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The worst is over.....for us.

It's 6:30 am. The end of a very long night here. What we had, and are still experiencing, is what I would call a tropical storm. A strong one though! Electricity kept popping off and on all night. Phones were off for awhile too.

We hardly got any rain. Well, at least not the amount I expected. I assume there will still be some flooding of streets and low lying areas though. The ocean is incredible. Humongous waves are still coming in. Giant things crashing down into waves of angry white foam rushing to shore. Which is considerably closer to me this morning! The wind will die down and bit and then come back with a fury.

I think damage to the island is going to be very minimal. I can see that my neighbor has not lost one single asbestos paper shingle off his house. That is a very good sign. Those roofs are always the first to go.

I will for sure be going around and taking pictures later. Once this thing has passed. Judging from what I see on the satellite, it will be awhile yet.

Meantime, let's all turn our thoughts and prayers to those south of me. They must think that Judgement Day has arrived. I just hope every one makes it through safely and that there are no casualties.

1 comment:

Brenda Maas said...

Glad that you are safe and that all is well.