Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mexico Shots


Lake Catemaco, Veracruz

This is a 16km oval lake, ringed by volcanic hills in southeast Veracruz. It contains a large, fist sized snail which is fabled as an aphrodisiac. We visited here in the spring of 2005, on our tour of eastern and central Mexico. It also is located in one of the few pockets of rain forest found here in Mexico.

This was brought to mind again because I watched Apacolypto the other night. I was surprised to discover that the film was made in Catemaco. Speaking of the film, to me it lacked historical continuity, the time frames in the movie were off and it could have been edited to have been shorter. Even so, three days later, I can't get it out of my mind. There was just something about it. Maybe how drastically one's life can change in an instant. A chilling movie.

No comments: