Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Shopping Woes

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I would almost kill for a decent grocery on this island. The one we have is tiny, overcrowded and only half assedly (I made that word up!) caters to the local population. Most of the pricing is done for the tourists who invariably wonder in, trying to buy a 6 peso bottle of water with a 200 peso bill.

Yesterday it was my turn to cook again. Y'all know how much I like that anyway! I decided to just have simple hamburgers, maybe on the grill out back. I went all the way downtown (yes, all 3 miles!) on my scooter. I wasn't going to pick that much up. I ended up just walking out with nothing anyway!

Not only was there no hamburger meat, there was no meat in the counter at all! And no butcher in sight. Same for bread and pastries. Shelves were looking a little depleted also. I forgot that Tuesday is the day they clear out a lot of items and then restock on Wednesday.

We walked up the hill behind us and got sandwiches to go from D'Alicia. That's a little taco stand that sells freshly made tacos, panuchos, empanadas, flautas and sandwiches. Filled a hole but not too satisfying.

Things could be worse I suppose. This could be my main grocery store:

This is the main grocery store in Mahahual. It is a village on the coast south of Playa del Carmen and north of Chetumal.

No comments: