Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Cold here; Wet in Tabasco

I think we broke, or at least tied, the record for lowest temperature last night. At least in the four years I have been living here. It got down to 61F/16C! I'm surprised it didn't snow! It was great though. Slept heavy for sure last night, blanket and all.

B reports that somebody is now collecting food and toiletries for the victims of Tabasco. They have set up in front of our grocery store. He doesn't think it is the Red Cross though. I'm going to head down there later and stock up on stuff for them. He said most people were buying beans and rice. I think I'll get a bunch of Masa, the flour they use for making tortillas. Not much sense in sending beans and rice if you can't make a tortilla to put them in. Maybe some bars of soap too. I'll probably spend about $50 on stuff. Not much to be sure, but every little bit helps. Even if you don't live here in Mexico, I'm sure you can find some way to help if you want. I understand that HSBC, among other banks, is accepting cash donations for the victims. You just have to go in, say I want to help the victims of the flooding in Tabasco and they will deposit your gift into a special account for that. Pretty nice and easy.

Speaking of which, I read that after Hurricane Katrina, Mexico sent Army troops up north to help with clean up and stuff. I have not been able to verify this. Do any of my readers know if this is true or not? And have any of you heard if the USA is returning the favor in Tabasco? Please let me know if you have any information regarding this.

That's all from here except.....if you don't already read my other blog (see sidebar), I would recommend you take a quick peek today. Some great pictures over there of the extraordinary place called Las Pozas, built by Sir Edward James. Fascinating surreal stuff in the middle of a mountain rain forest. Go check it out.

1 comment:

Brenda Maas said...

Ah...sooooo cold. I can almost see icicles hanging off of you. LOL. Amazing how your body adjusts to the climate isn't it. I begin to shiver now at 78 F..
I am pretty sure that I also read that the Mexican Army sent help to the USA during Katrina; but can't remember where I read it.
Yes, apparently it is true, thought so, I found this write up on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina