Saturday, August 11, 2007

Mexican Car Insurance

I finally got myself together enough yesterday to call my insurance agent in Cancun. He speaks no English so I first translated everything via AltaVista Babelfish, just in case I could not get him to understand me. At least I could read it to him!

He gave me the 1-800 number for Claims. I called this number and the person who answered the phone spoke very good English! I was in luck. I went through all the rigamarole of reporting the hit and run and got a claim report number. He told me that an adjuster would be at my house within 45 minutes to inspect the car. I was pleased to hear this even though I did not believe it.

Sure enough, within 5 minutes the phone rang and it was the adjuster from Cancun. He wanted me to bring the car right over to Cancun. I don't think so! No way was I going to spend my whole afternoon on the car ferry and running around Cancun waiting for him to show up. We finally arranged that I would meet him at the insurance office on Monday morning and we would drive from there to the repair shop.

It doesn't sound like the car is going to be fixed at the VW dealer. Probably some body shop that they have a deal with. I guess I really don't care as long as I get my car fixed and back to me ASAP.

We'll see what happens Monday. I'll blog about it later in the evening. Since we have to take the 6:30am ferry anyway, we are going to spend the day over there doing some shopping.

No comments: