Thursday, August 16, 2007

Dean Update

I suppose a lot of you are following Dean's progress also. Right now the eye is predicted to pass just south of Cozumel Sunday night to Monday morning. Boy, I hope that is correct. The predictors are saying that he will only increase in size and become "extremely dangerous". Of course I don't want it to hit here, or anywhere along our coast for that matter. Poor Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. They got hit as hard as we did from Wilma in 2005.

We now have 6 full bottles of drinking water, are busy making and storing as much ice as we can, and have stocked up on canned goods as well as snack foods. We bought and froze 2 kilos of hamburger meat and 1 kilo of bacon today. We found we really missed bacon after Wilma. We have plenty of paper products on hand also. We will have to keep looking for eggs. There were none to be found today. Oh, I also bought a case of beer!

Our hurricane kit is in good condition. New batteries, flashlights, candles, matches. All in all I would say we are in pretty good shape. It's a game of wait and see now.

I was shocked at the grocery store today. I expected to see a hive of activity since Dean was front page news in the paper today. Nobody there seemed to be concerned or was stocking up. I guess that people just do not have the expendable income that we do to enable them to get extras into the house. My cleaning lady told me today that if they get hit by one more storm they will not be able to rebuild. They just don't have the money. Many people will be in that same boat. Especially those that live in cardboard houses.

Maybe tomorrow I better go around and take a lot of "before" pictures, just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was doing some reasearch this weekend on expatriate living and found your blog. I started reading it and found it very interesting and entertaining. My husband, son and I are planning on taking a vacation next year and we would like to visit the caribbean or somewhere around that area thats why I was reading your blog to find out information about the area instead of travel sites. I see that there is a hurricane developing close by you I hope that everything turns out okay for you and your family. Debbie

Islagringo said...

Thanks for the well wishes, Debbie, and I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. If you have any questions I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask!