Thursday, April 19, 2012

On The Road - Heading Home

We were very fortunate in Valledolid that there was some sort of small festival going on. The newly refurbished town square was lovely, people were friendly and in good spirits, children played and chased balloons and they closed off one of the bordering streets that evening.




So we got to see the wonderful sight of people dancing in the street. Couples of all ages felt the rhythm of the Kumbia band and took to the cobblestones. I love the elderly couples that flow together and move as one as only a couple that has been dancing together for years can do. Charming, to say the least.

We enjoyed a few hours of watching the dancers, listening to the music, people watching and eating ice cream. Then it was time for bed.

The next morning we had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and loaded up for the trip back to Cancun, where we had to turn in the rental car.

We took the toll free road from Merida to Cancun. Again, I wanted to pass through as many villages and towns as possible and avoid the boring, jungle enclosed freeway. With the improvements that have now been completed on the free road, it is almost as fast as taking the toll road anyway. And a lot more interesting.

Along the way we stopped for a leisurely lunch and my Sister had her first taste of a Yucatecan favorite....Sope de Lima. Lime Soup, which is really chicken vegetable soup with slices of lime for flavor. We also stopped at some of the roadside nurseries that dot this road and bought a few plants for the back patio.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip and I am very glad that I had the chance to show my sister one small part of why I love Mexico.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sister was lucky to have an experienced guide.

Michael

KfromMichigan said...

I love going through all the small villages between Merida and Cancun. Gotta love Sope de Lima, it's a fav of mine. Your sister is lucky to have such a great brother!

Jane H. said...

Wonderful trip report and photos. Thank you!

Aimee said...

Hi there! I am loving your blog. We are headed off to a year in Oaxaca, my husband's hometown, and I am enjoying perusing other expat blogs as I start my own. Great photos, and brings back lovely memories of isla mujeres!
Aimee
www.newtomexicanlife.blogspot.com