Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Some Selections

I have a lot more pictures of the county fair, but I'm sure most of you are getting sick of looking at them. After today, I'll just keep the rest for my own enjoyment.

Like one of my readers commented, lots of fairs have just gone downhill. I think with the urbanization of America and the Walmart mentality, most people are just not into seeing or participating in agriculture or the country way of life. What a pity.

There were a lot of turkey entries but, for some reason, they were not housed in with the rest of the poultry. Lots of strutting toms. I don't know what that mark is on his chest. Looks like a bullet hole though. Maybe a birth mark?





Good thing they are so tasty because they sure are ugly!





Who doesn't love a little bunny?











Chickens, while being one of the dumbest birds ever created, sure can be interesting. It always amazes me to see all the varieties.


















Talk about a bad hair day!








It was a hot week, that first one of August. I'm sure the fair exhibitors quickly grew tired of the heat and humidity inside the barn. Or maybe they just had secrets to share. And what better place to do it?




5 comments:

Ann said...

Great fair photos! The varieties of chicken amaze me, too--can't keep them all sorted--can't even pronounce 1/2 of them. Our fair had a good year, weather & the economy are the factors around here. Hope they never go away--ours is celebrating it's 100th anniversary next year!

Debi in Merida said...

I found out about the black spot - It was actually unpleasant reading, finding out about the raising and processing of the 'product'...
The Anatomy of a Turkey
The Caruncle - a red-pink fleshy growth on the head and upper neck of the turkey

The Snood - a long, red, fleshy growth from the base of the beak that hangs down over the beak

The Wattle - a bright red appendage at the neck

The Beard - a black lock of hair found on the chest of the male turkey

I too love county/state fairs. In fact Xmatkuil is coming up again reall soon!
Debi

Steve Cotton said...

Put me down for "more fair photos." I have not met a fair I did not like.

Mary said...

I have never been to a county fair and we are surrounded by them in MI. I would love to have a couple little silkies and I love those chickens with the giant fluffy legs. Stupid yes, and dirty, but also really beautiful birds.

Anonymous said...

Are you Ok...?

O Robert