Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fair Food

To answer my most frequently asked question, yes, I did eat some fair food. Well, actually, a lot of fair food!


Like these.






That's a 32 oz bucket of fries, smothered in malt vinegar and salt. I managed to down three cups of these babies in a 13 hour period. I wasn't too keen on sharing them either.



One of things I like best about the food booths is how colorful are they are.










Minnesota is the home of SPAM. I zoomed for this picture. I hate the stuff and did not want to get close enough to even smell it.






It seems that everything is fried.





And what is the fair without cheese curds? The lines are always horrendous at this booth.







This has got to be one of my favorite booths.







I had dill pickle slices, breaded and deep-fried, covered with a spicy Cajun sauce with a side of Ranch for dipping. Dee-lish-ous! Of course, I put dill pickle slices on pizza so this is a natural for me.



Skipped this one. Just couldn't get my head around eating these anywhere but by a campfire.






The smells coming off this grill were almost overwhelming tempting.






B tried this one. It was just too funny. They wrap a pizza around a stick and bake it. Of course, once it starts to cool the whole thing topples over. I could make an anology, but I won't!






I didn't eat this but I took the picture for one of my readers. If I had written down the names of the owners, I would have asked for a free sample!








So here's the final tally for a 13 hour period in the hot sun:



3 buckets of french fries

1 order of deep-fried dill pickle slices

1 cheese curd (not an order, just one! they are not high on my list)

1 bite of giant cinammon roll with sweetened butter

1 hot dog

1 bite pork chop on a stick (i wasn't the only one not keen on sharing my food!)

3 bottles of water

2 almost a foot long hotdog (actually 11-3/4 inches)

1 ear roasted corn

1 bite (that I almost spit out) of chocolate covered bacon

1 bucket of Sweet Martha's Cookies (spit with 4 other people)



Not so much really. Just lots of carbs and fat!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the pounds you GAINED!!??
KW from Michigan

CancunCanuck said...

Ok, I should not have read this before having breakfast, YUM!! I really miss dill pickles and LOVE them deep fried! What a fantastic array of artery clogging goodness! I guess it's a good thing that the fair is only once a year, I wouldn't want to see the results of eating like that everyday!

Anonymous said...

Great photos!

What is hot dish on a stick?

I LOVE fried dill pickles - I get them whenever I can, which is not often.

Islaholic Trixie said...

Thanks for the picture Wayne!! I've never been up to the fair to see their setup, but I did spend last summer helping them prepare 30,000 "Hot Dish on A Stick's." Never wanted to look at another one!!
How do you stay so thin???? I want to know your secret.

Anonymous said...

I think my stomach just went into peptic shock.

Robert

Islagringo said...

kw: I actually LOST 7 pounds in the 3 weeks I was gone.

cc: you do see it every day, especially NOB.

jeanne: I'll let Trixie take this question!

Trixie: I'd like to know exactly what it is too. I know what a hot dish of course, but how do you get it on a stick?

robert: where's you sense of adventure!

Islagringo said...

kw: I actually LOST 7 pounds in the 3 weeks I was gone.

cc: you do see it every day, especially NOB.

jeanne: I'll let Trixie take this question!

Trixie: I'd like to know exactly what it is too. I know what a hot dish of course, but how do you get it on a stick?

robert: where's you sense of adventure!

Anonymous said...

Lost 7 pounds on vacation! I need to go to MN for 3 weeks, maybe 3 months.
KW from Michigan

Ann said...

I ate alot of the same things at our Ag fair recently, but would add coconut chocolate almond ice cream cone and fried clams. Had Nodines sausage & peppers & onions 3 days in a row & the ice cream for dessert!

NinjaMom said...

How could you miss the chocolate covered bacon??? That was my favorite fair food this year.
I'm very impressed with the 3 buckets of fries- I didn't have room for any, but I did enjoy the deep fried pickles.

Islagringo said...

jamqueen: guts of steel?

Ninjamom: I did have the bacon. How could I forget to mention that! And chocolate chip cookies! Better fix that list! (here's a little secret...start with the fries!!!!)

Islaholic Trixie said...

Hot Dish On a Stick. Start by cutting tator tots and meatballs in half. Add these to a stick...tator to, meatball, tator tot, meatball. I think they are then deep fried and served with creme of mushroom soup

Anonymous said...

thanks Trixie - I'll think I'd pass on the hot dish on a stick. I'll take 2 orders of deep fried dill pickles instead :)