Friday, July 11, 2008

The Saga Continues With Dinner

It's so nice to visit a city with somebody who actually lives there. They know all of the out of the way places where the tourists rarely go. Such was the case with dinner Friday night.



Heather suggested we go to this place, HC de Monterrey and Jonna and Mimi quickly added their enthusiastic thumbs up to the recommendation. I'm not sure of the actual address, but it is somewhere in the 20's. We were the only gringos there, the menu is only in Spanish and I doubt that the waiter speaks English. Our kind of place!







Although they appeared to have a full menu, the reason we were there was for the grilled arrechera, or commonly called skirt steak in English. And boy, were the girls every right with this recommendation. I have never, you hear me, never had such delicious arrechera in my life! Tasty, flavorful from the grill and tee-en-der to the nth degree! You had your choice of a gigantic baked potato or a baked onion. Some salsa and tortillas and we were set to devour!



I'm not sure what Heather was pontificating* about but it looks like Mimi ain't buying it.






In fact, I think Lisa and Jonna had their doubts too!






Heather had been here before. The walls bear witness!






Jonna's inner child escaping again!






Finally gorged and much more sober, we all said our good nights and headed to our respective beds for much needed sleep. After all, tomorrow was going to be a big day, including dog washing!



* Heather would never pontificate. At least not to this crowd!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I have never, you hear me, never had such delicious arrechera in my life!"
- I couldn't agree with you more!! I'm going to have to go alllll the way to Playa now every time I crave arrechera! *drools on keyboard*

Islaholic Trixie said...

My favorite meal. I'm going to have to go down to Playa and check it out next winter!!

CancunCanuck said...

I love the commentary on your pics, lol! BTW, Carnes de Monterrey operate in Cancun too, under the name "Super Carnes". There is one on Coba, between the Elektra and Blockbuster. YUMMY arrachera at a decent price, it's one of our faves.

Islagringo said...

lisa and islaholic: see canucks comment. No need to go all the way to Playa!

cc: what time do you want to go!

Anonymous said...

Thank God I didn't read this until close to dinner time! Yummy!

Kathy said...

Yes, the original is on 1st street sur in Playa and is called Super Carnes HC Monterrey. They opened a sucursal in Cozumel in February and they're raving there too. I've heard rumours of a Tulum site also.

They really have amazing meat and we usually pick up a kilo (or TWO if the boys are eating :)) and bring it home for dinner.

I hope that Jonna and Mimi took you too La Floresta (by CFE) on the carretera for fish tacos, Wayne. If not, you'll just have to come down again and we'll do a gastronomic tour. :)

Kathy said...

Kelli, you've got the pulse of the state - do they marinate the beef in crack cocaine or what? It is just melt in your mouth amazing.

Islagringo said...

jackie: it was good. I can't stop thinking about it. It was that kind of meal, good food, good people, good conversation. everything just came together excellently.

harvestmoon: I am not overly fond of fish tacos, or basically anything that comes from the sea. Except shrimp of course. Let me at 'em! That said, I would love to go on any kind of tour with you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Harvestmoon: Just so you know, the HC de Monterrey Super Carnes original location on 1 sur has been sold and is now called CH de Monterrey Super Carnes...tricky, eh? But it's essentially the same thing...food tastes the same.