Monday, February 12, 2007

Cactus Police

The cactus police were by the other day. We weren’t home but they inspected our cactus plants in front of the cabana and left this booklet for us with the neighbors.



It is high end, glossy publication of 62 pages…in English! I guess they wanted to be sure that all of us Gringos understood the dangers of orange caterpillars in our cacti. It says on the back that 3000 of these were printed. I wonder, at what cost? I would rather they just did a leaflet or something and used the printing costs for something else. Like put it into the education fund or something. Look at the inside:



The one real drawback to this publication is that it is virtually unreadable. And believe me, I spent a lot of time trying to get through it in the “reading room”. It is written for academia and most of it uses the Latin name for everything, making it hard to understand.

So, ok, I get it. Worms that infest your cacti and eat them are bad. Just plain bad. Squash them, spray them with something or chop down your cactus if you see them. I just don’t see the need to remove every cactus from the island, which is what the cactus police are doing. There are huge piles of cut down cactus everywhere. I just hope they don’t come after the private gardens next!

No comments: