Thursday, January 04, 2007

Biometric Passport

Have you ever heard of such a thing? I hadn't, but then I am not the most up to date technical wizard to ever come along.

L had to get his passport renewed recently. For those of you who don't know, he is British. (I could write a whole blog just about the differences in his English and our American English!) Anyway, he is going to a Trade Fair in the USA for the company he works for so his British passport had to meet American standards! The page where your picture is is a thick plastic and there is a microchip inbedded in the back of your picture with all of your data on it! If you have a passport issued after October 2006, it must have this chip or you will not be allowed access to the USA.

Ok, I promised myself that I would never wax politically in this blog and I am not going to change that now. But, boy, I sure could say a few things about American paranoia, building walls and all the other stupid things we are doing. Like 3.5 oz of liguid total in your luggage to board an airline! But I won't. I just wonder how long it will be before each state starts to restrict access to its' borders and we will not even be allowed to travel freely in our country. Shudder the thought.

No comments: